So many students, interested in journalism, wish to be able to write professionally as a journalist. Yet, journalistic writing is not a skill can be acquired overnight. It needs to be learnt practically from an expert whose experience and knowledge is a light guiding the new comer. This workshop is intended to provide the students with some introductory information about journalism, enhance their necessary journalistic skills and prepare them for working as a journalist for magazines or newspapers. This workshop is aimed at students at all levels from very beginners to advanced writers.
This course can also be taken by working professionals and not only by amateurs. It will be an opportunity to pick up some great journalistic and multimedia skills.
Topics to be covered in the workshop:
- Introduction to postmodern journalism, what is news, article, column, opinion and editorial
- What is the angle in a journalistic text
- What is story? What is feature? What is news piping and doctoring in journalism
- The title is chosen by the editor, Why?
- How to write fair and impartial news under pressure
- How to interview effectively
- The musts and mustn’t in interviewing (rules and ethics)
- How to team work in journalism (joint bylines, etc.)
- How to avoid making mistakes and learn from mistakes in journalism industry
Instructor: Ramin Mostaghim, LA Times Correspondent in Iran
Dates: Saturdays, 5 & 12 March (15th & 22nd of Esfand), 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Venue: Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures, University of Tehran (Kargar Shomali St, Enqelab Sq, Tehran)
Online Registration: www.evand.ir/events/journalism