“Real haiku is the soul of poetry.”
― Santōka Taneda, Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda
If you want to begin writing poetry, write Haiku. If you want to show your mastery in poetry, write Haiku.
Submit 2 of your haikus here and get a chance to have them evaluated by Bob Holman American Poet and poetry activist.
The contest is free and open to the public. Members of ELSA are not eligible to take part in this competition.
- Up to 2 unpublished haikus, not submitted for publication or to any other contest. Publication is defined as an appearance in a printed book, magazine, or journal (sold or given away), or in any online journal that presents edited periodic content. The appearance of poems in online discussion lists or personal websites is not considered publication.
- Judges will be asked to disqualify any haiku that they have seen before.
- By entering this contest contestants will be giving permission to ELSA to publish the submitted poems online or in print.
In writing your haikus use the following pdf as your guideline:
Judge: Bob Holman
- 1st Prize: One volume of Norton Anthology of Western Literature + 100,000 tomans
- 2nd Prize: 2 Novels from Norton Critical Editions + 75000 tomans
- 3rd Prize: 1 Novel from Norton Critical Editions + 50, 000 tomans
+ Certificates of Achievement signed by ELSA and the contest Judge
Deadline: 5 Farvardin (25th of March)
submission deadline has been extended to Farvardin 10
Winners will be announced on the first week of Ordibehesht.